fbpx Skip to Content

Do Disabled Veterans Have to Pay Property Taxes in Michigan?

Feb 16 | 2015  by

On behalf of Fausone Bohn, LLP on Monday, February 16, 2015.

A relatively new Michigan law does indeed give some disabled veterans an exemption on their property taxes. And the good news: it’s pretty easy to apply for the Disabled Veterans Exemption.

Disabled veterans, un-remarried spouses, or their legal designee can apply by completing the one page Form 5107 and filing that with your local assessor’s office. If the local Board of Review approves the exemption, then you will be granted a refund for that year’s taxes.

You can download form 5107 here to apply for the exemption:

Note – Michigan veterans must apply each year for this exemption.

Who qualifies as a “Disabled Veteran” under the law (MCL 211.7b)?

The law defines a disabled veteran as a resident of Michigan who meets one of the following criteria:

  1. Rated 100% for disability as a result of military service by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
  2. Has a certificate from VA certifying that the veteran is receiving or has received financial assistance due to disability for specially adapted housing.
  3. Rated by VA as individually unemployable.

This is a great money-saving benefit for disabled veterans in Michigan that you should try and take advantage of if you meet the criteria.

Do you need help with your VA disability rating or your VA claim? You can call the team at Legal Help For Veterans, PLLC today. We fight to make sure you get the benefits you deserve from VA. Call us today at  800-693-4800 or visit us online at www.LegalHelpForVeterans.com.