View Our Practice Areas

Do You Have a Funeral Representative?

Don Knapp, Jr.

Wills, trusts and deeds can be drafted to ensure that monies, real estate, and heirlooms reach our intended beneficiaries after death. Until recently, it was not as easy to have control over your funeral. However, with the enactment of Michigan Senate Bill 551 into law on April 12, 2016, competent adults are now able to designate another adult as a "funeral representative" to make decisions about funeral arrangements and the disposition of the deceased's body.

An adult can now designate anyone to handle his or her funeral. A funeral representative will need to be: (1) at least 18 years of age; (2) a person of sound mind; and, (3) voluntarily agree to the designation in writing in the presence of two witnesses and acknowledged before a notary public. The funeral representative will ensure that your wishes are carried out.

If you are interested in designating a funeral representative, if you want your estate plan reviewed or updated, or if you want an estate plan drafted, please contact Don Knapp at Fausone Bohn, LLP for a free consultation. He can be reached at (248) 380-0000, ext. 3213 or at [email protected].

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:
41700 West Six Mile Road, Suite 101
Northville, MI 48168

Toll Free: 888-674-1189
Toll Free: 800-693-4800
Phone: 248-468-4536
Fax: 248-380-3434
Map & Directions

  • Best Criminal Defense Lawyers in Ann Arbor -2020