View Our Practice Areas

Nonprofits May Not Be Able to Increase Dues for a PAC

Paul F. Bohn, Esq.

Recently, the Michigan Secretary of State Elections Division responded to the question of whether a nonprofit could specify a portion of a dues increase for members to be dedicated for a “separate segregated fund” (i.e. a PAC), without violating the Michigan Campaign Finance Act (MCFA).

The preliminary response from the state issued last week suggested that any portion of a dues increase specifically dedicated for a nonprofit’s PAC could violate Michigan law, if the dues increase was paid to the nonprofit first.

That could sound a bit confusing – what does it matter whether the dues increase go to the nonprofit general treasury fund first, or to the separate segregated fund first?

Nonprofit corporations – or any corporation – setting up a separate segregated fund can only use their general treasury funds to pay for the establishment, administration, and soliciting of contributions for that separate segregated fund. Therefore, if a nonprofit transferred money from its general fund directly to their PAC for any other purpose, it would violate the MCFA prohibition against treasury funds being used for campaign activity.

In its response, the state said that this prohibition applies even if it is made clear that member’s contributions from the dues increase to the PAC are voluntary.

To clarify, members of nonprofits can donate directlyto the separate segregated fund of the nonprofit, as long as it is voluntary and not a condition of membership. In addition to members, a nonprofit may also solicit and accept funds for its PAC from stockholders, employees with non-clerical responsibilities, officers and directors of the corporation, and other separate segregated funds.

For all of the above, contributions must also be voluntary, and not a condition of employment. A separate segregated fund can be a great vehicle for individuals and businesses to advocate for their political preferences in an election – but the key is staying in compliance.

Nonprofits and other corporations need to keep pace with the changing landscape of campaign finance. If you are in need of legal counsel or want to set-up a separate segregated fund or other political committee, contact Fausone Bohn, LLP today and we can help you accomplish your goals and advise you on best-practices to stay in compliance with the law. Contact Jim Fausone or Paul Bohn today at (248) 468-4536, or visit us online at

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:
41700 West Six Mile Road, Suite 101
Northville, MI 48168

Toll Free: 888-674-1189
Toll Free: 800-693-4800
Phone: 248-468-4536
Fax: 248-380-3434
Map & Directions

  • Best Criminal Defense Lawyers in Ann Arbor -2020